Serves: 12 People
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp fresh edible lavender buds or 1 tsp dried lavender buds
- 1 1/4 cups self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup (175ml) of either sunflower, vegetable or canola oil.
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups (200g) grated pumpkin flesh or 1 cup of pumpkin puree (fresh is best, canned is ok)
- zest of 2 oranges
- 3/4 cup (160g) soft brown sugar
- 12 muffin liners
- To decorate:
- 1 cup (100g) icing sugar
- juice and zest of 1 small orange
- 1 tsp dried lavender buds
*Use of a food scale may be more accurate than measuring by volume. If possible, this is the preferred method of measurement.
1. Preheat oven to 340°F and line a 12-hole muffin/cupcake tin with papers.
2. Allow the lavender flowers to soak in the milk and set aside while you make the muffin batter. *Gentle grinding/cracking of the lavender flowers before soaking in milk will increase its flavor profile.
3. Mix the baking soda into the flour and stir it well.
4. In a large bowl mix the oil, eggs, pumpkin, zest and sugar until completely combined. Stir in the flour until a smooth batter is formed. Stir in the milk and lavender.
5. Scoop the mixture into the 12 muffin tins. Bake for about 20 minutes until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
6. ICING: Mix the orange juice with the icing sugar until smooth but not too runny. You may not need all of the juice. Spoon the icing onto the cool muffins and sprinkle with zest and lavender flowers.
7. Enjoy! Let us know what you think below!
*Special thanks to Irish Examiner for turning us onto this!